What is a short URL?
A URL shortener is a feature that converts a regular URL (the web address that starts with http://) into its condensed format. You can now save credits by cutting short the SMS length with our smart URL Shortener. Using this feature will automatically convert the long URL present in your SMS content into a short one. Once the SMS is delivered and the receiver clicks on the short URL received, it will redirect him/her to your original long URL.
To achieve it, just follow the below steps -
1. Enable the Short URL feature for your account
- Login MSG91 panel -> Click on Short URL section
- In the Settings section, you will get a toggle button where you can enable or disable the Short URL service.
Even if you disable the short URL service from the dashboard & pass the additional parameter short_url=1 in your API URL, it will convert the original URL into a short one.
- SMS sent via the MSG91 user panel will start converting the long URLs into Short URLs.
- Message received on the handset will look like this.
3. If you want to send SMS via API
- Start passing short_url=1 as an additional parameter in your API call.
- It will work with all the versions of API.
4. If you want to send it via a google spreadsheet
- Make sure you have the SMS Sheet Add-on installed. If not, please follow this HelpDoc.
- Once you are logged in to the SMS Sheet Add-on, just turn on the toggle before you send the SMS (as shown in the image below).
- Remember that you will need to turn the toggle ON every time. By default - it will remain OFF.
To check Short URL reports
1. In the Short URL panel only, click on the Logs section. It will show you the campaign name, date, recipient mobile number, short ID with actual long URL, and the number of clicks.
3. When you will click on the number of clicks of a particular URL, it will give you additional information about the receiver who has clicked on the URL like - IP, date, country, browser, and OS.
4. In the URL section, you will get all the URLs with created date, expiry (if any), and their short IDs. You can edit the expiry time by using the edit/action button.
Also, a new URL can be created manually with Create New button. You just have to add your Long URL and its Expiry time and click Save.
Limitations (The Url will only be replaced if)
- The length of URL with hostname > 15 & URL without hostname > 10.
URL with hostname: testdevu.mywire.org/welcome/
URL without hostname: /welcome/